[DWJ] Neil Gaiman wins Newberry

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 04:33:42 EST 2009

> Well, not quite.
>
> I think in terms of which children will enjoy it most, then children rather
> than teens. But there is something about the positioning that made me think
> it is also a book written *about* childhood for adults. I discussed this
> with Neil and he went away to think about it. I have no idea if the idea
> had
> any influence/.
>
> cheers

Yes, I can see that--perhaps the two are not entirely exclusive? I'll read
it again with that in mind. I've just read an Australian novel, Peter
Goldsworthy's Everything I Knew, which is about early adolescence but is not
certainly for early adolescents—there's definitely a difference in the
closeness of perspective of these two examples.

Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)