[DWJ] Neil Gaiman wins Newberry

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 04:27:17 EST 2009

2009/1/28 Judith Ridge <judith.ridge at gmail.com>

> 2009/1/28 Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com>
>
> > Nice review, but... teenage?
> >

> Bless you, Farah (and Charlie). I've been arguing elsewhere that The
> Graveyard Book is, thematically, a classic children's book, not YA, despite
> the fact that teenagers will undoubtedly find much to like about it. Glad
> you agree!

Well, not quite.

I think in terms of which children will enjoy it most, then children rather
than teens. But there is something about the positioning that made me think
it is also a book written *about* childhood for adults. I discussed this
with Neil and he went away to think about it. I have no idea if the idea had
any influence/.

cheers
Farah