[DWJ] author flirting

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:16:44 EST 2009

2009/1/28 Gili Bar-Hillel <gbhillel at netvision.net.il>

> I don't think the phrase was meant pejoratively,

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what was meant. Accusing people of giving
quotations on the basis of friendship (or good reviews for the same reason)
is a particularly unpleasant way to attack an author or a reviewer, and
crops up quite regularly.

This is why John Clute, the leading reviewer in our very incestuous field,
led the drive for Excessive Candour.

Please do not use it. However nicely you mean it, you are handing the less
well intentioned a weapon.

[The three reviews of Rhetorics of Fantasy to have come out so far are from
John Clute, Gary K. Wolfe and Michael Swanwick: I have dinner with Clute
most Thursdays, I am close friends with Wolfe, and Swanwick is currently a
guest in my house. See the problem?]

all the best
Farah