[DWJ] assistance needed

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:58:23 EST 2009

2009/1/19 Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com>

> > Is this standard student-quality?  I mean, is this better or worse than
> > you'd've expected?  I do hope you say worse...
> >
> > Minnow
> >

> It's middling student quality but it's much higher than I would expect from
> this student. One of the bizarre aspects is that although the writer has
> mentioned the fantasy at the start, it is otherwise treated as a social
> problem novel in which the twin issues are the divorce and the relationship
> with an older man.

Is that so surprising, Farah? I don't know the context in/purpose for which
this review was (allegedly) written, but that seems like a fairly typical
response to, well, any book by a "middling" student—reduce it to its
"issues". cf How I Live Now, where all anyone could talk abut was the
"incest" (sic).

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)