[DWJ] Twilight

lili wilkinson liliwilkinson at mac.com
Thu Jan 15 18:20:31 EST 2009

Elizabeth said:
>When I put the book down I didn't feel motivated to hunt out the sequels
>- has anyone read them, and are they worth reading?

Er, no. Or at least, not in my opinion. I find Meyer's take on sexual politics quite disturbing - Bella is so helpless that Edward LITERALLY carries her around. There's also a bit of sexual violence that Bella justifies with 'Oh, he wasn't himself, he can't help his supernatural predatory powers', which I don't exactly think is a great message to be sending to the teenage girls of the world.

The film, however, is unintentionally hilarious. Sparkly vampires!

Speaking of unintentionally hilarious, I give you my favourite line from the Twilight series:

"It?s twilight," Edward murmured, looking at the western horizon, ... looking like a male model in an advertisement for raincoats.

-lili