[DWJ] Stealing DWJ was Re: another introduction

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jan 8 17:31:17 EST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 2:03 PM, slwones at gmail.com wrote:

> Lili's introduction prompted me to respond because I did actually
> steal Fire
> and Hemlock from a library. It was my high school library and just
> before
> graduation I took it because I couldn't find it in a bookstore
> (pre-Internet, obviously) and I was SURE no one in the school was
> worthy of
> it. : )  My mother found it while I was in college and promptly
> returned it.
> When she heard my reasons for taking it she introduced me to the
> concept of
> bookstore special orders and a lifetime of spending too much money
> on books
> was begun.

As I believe I have confessed before, I _did_ steal _Witch's Business_
[USA name for _Wilkins' Tooth_] from my local library.  Actually, I
took it out and reported it lost and paid up.  They kindly informed
me that, if I kept my receipt and if I found it, I could return it
and get my money back.

I only resorted to this because it was not in print, either in the
USA or
in the UK.

When at last it _was_ in print again, I bought it and made an
honest woman of myself by returning my stolen copy to the
library.

Seasonal note:  all you folks who live in reasonable climates
or for whom it is summer may take pleasure in the fact that
I am now going to shovel snow.  Ick.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you
commit atrocities.

                                                  - Voltaire