[DWJ] New Introduction

Thu Jan 8 01:43:30 EST 2009

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:07:21 -0700, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Jan 1, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
>> We haven't done an intro thing in a while, have we.  Thanks, Otter,
>> for
>> starting this round off.
>
>As long as credit it given where credit is due.  Melissa Proffitt
>suggested it in the bottom of her review of last year's books
>that she posted yesterday.

Yes, but you actually did something about it, while I went off to stuff
myself with smoked salmon and chili-flavored chocolate at a New Year's
party.

I've been a member of the list since day one--and this reminds me that this
year is our tenth anniversary, which almost demands a celebration of some
sort as long as I do not have to plan it because I am a Flake of the Highest
Order.  Long ago I happened upon the Chrestomanci Castle website, sent
Deborah a note about how nice it was, and she invited me to join the list.

I'm finding it hard to comment intelligently these days because I am
absorbed with teaching three of my four children at home.  In addition to
being a Flake I am a Glutton for Punishment.  My oldest is in online high
school, which is actually a lot of fun for both of us since we go off on
tangents about European history and misplaced apostrophes.  The two younger
ones take up a lot more time and their curriculum is less fun.

Though my husband Jacob has been a subscriber to the list for a long time,
he's less than a lurker now.  This means we will not be entertaining you by
having conversations on the list that we could easily have face to face.  We
do still have rip-roaring arguments about literature, frequently.  He is a
big fan of Georgette Heyer thanks mainly to list members; I thought he might
actually die of laughter over _False Colours_ last week.

In addition to teaching and reading, I make jewelry using both conventional
materials and polyhedral dice.  Some time soon I will revive my online store
(which suffers from lack of promotion because, again, I am a Flake).  I also
play a lot of Rock Band with my family and I teach Sunday School every third
week.

Someday I will get a t-shirt that reads I Am a Jeenyus and Allways Right.

Melissa Proffitt