[DWJ] Charles I

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:03:57 EST 2009

2009/1/8 Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk>

> >He actually seems worse than that. Apparently he was admired for always
> >being cheerful in the face of the death of friends, lost battles, etc. I
> >find myself wondering if he regarded anyone else as real.
>
> I have always wondered that!  He does seem to have been slightly
> psychopathic, really.  At the very least, he seems to have swallowed the
> Divine Right of Kings thing so thoroughly that he really did think he could
> do no wrong.

Anyone seen the  shorts for the new Nixon/Frost film, where Nixon (and I
believe it is a direct quote, although not my poor paraphrase here) says
that as President, it is impossible to break the law? So the concept of
divine right to rule extends beyond the 17th Century...

Judith (long-time mostly lurker, will introduce herself shortly)

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)