[DWJ] Charles I

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:16:54 EST 2009

2009/1/7 Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org>

> Can someone pin down the origin of the quote describing Charles I as
> "the man who attempted a coup d'etat in a country of which he was
> already the ruler, and lost"?

Trevor Royle quotes Churchill frequently, and although this is not one of
those quotes it has the same ring. At one point he cites Churchill as saying
something along the lines of "the revolt involved Wales, the northern lords,
the levellers, the Scots, all against the Army. The Army beat the lot."

> Actually, having read a bit about Charles before the war, I think that
> he had the same problem as many poor managers I've encountered: he
> didn't want to disappoint anyone, so he always agreed with whoever had
> spoken to him most recently. Unfortunately, that was often his wife, or
> Digby.

He actually seems worse than that. Apparently he was admired for always
being cheerful in the face of the death of friends, lost battles, etc. I
find myself wondering if he regarded anyone else as real.

Farah