[DWJ] Charles I

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Jan 7 14:48:08 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 07:38:51PM +0000, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
>[Oh: and I am thoroughly impressed at what an utter fool Charles I was. I
>had always been aware he was probably one of our worst Kings, but I had not
>realised just how guaranteed it was that, if presented with a good choice, a
>neutral choice or a really terrible one, Charles would, without fail, take
>the worst option.]

Can someone pin down the origin of the quote describing Charles I as
"the man who attempted a coup d'etat in a country of which he was
already the ruler, and lost"?

Actually, having read a bit about Charles before the war, I think that
he had the same problem as many poor managers I've encountered: he
didn't want to disappoint anyone, so he always agreed with whoever had
spoken to him most recently. Unfortunately, that was often his wife, or
Digby.