[DWJ] call for papers and power of three

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:49:28 EST 2009

Here's another copy of the call for papers. Proposals are due by the end of
the month, Deborah, so you have a few days more to spare...

Feel free to contact me or Farah with any queries or for a copy of the
registration form.

Charlie

*Diana Wynne Jones. A conference.
*

On any and all aspects of the writing of Diana Wynne Jones, on her influence
and influences. Papers on fan activity and scholarship, TV and film
adaptations also welcome. (We are also potentially interested in papers
allied to the topic: if unsure, just ask.)

*Deadline*, 31st January 2009.

*Date*: 3rd, 4th and 5th July 2009
*Location: *University of the West of England, Bristol.
Note that Continental Airlines offers a non-stop flight from Newark to
Bristol.
The venue is wheelchair accessible.

Diana Wynne Jones lives in Bristol and hopes to attend on Saturday.

*Accommodation:
*Accommodation will be in at the University of the West of England, Frenchay
Campus.
Broad band and wi-fi are free to residents: you will be issued with a log-in
at check in (remember to ask if it's not offered). In addition, the campus
has wi-fi, access not always good,  your password and log in should work
here.

*Organisers*: Farah Mendlesohn, Charlie Butler, Chris Bell.

*About the organisers:*

·         Farah Mendlesohn has organised and co-organised several academic
conferences and been on the committee of an Easter convention. She is
currently organising the programme for the 2009 Worldcon. In 2005 she
published *Diana Wynne Jones, Children's Literature and the Fantastic
Tradition*. She is a Reader at Middlesex University.

·         Charlie Butler writes fantasy for children and is a well known
scholar in the field (his book *Four British Fantasists* was twice
shortlisted for a Mythopoeic Award). He is a Senior Lecturer at the
University of the West of England, Bristol.

·         Chris Bell has been involved at committee level in running
Eastercon, the annual British Science Fiction Convention for more than
fifteen years. She lives in Bristol.

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk