[DWJ] Archer's Goon

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 11:50:03 EST 2009

"Goon" is pretty comic in American English, too.  It's pretty similar
to the word "stooge."  It's been used as a dismissive term for thugs,
but in the same way that thug conveys a slightly insulting sort of
brutishness, goon conveys a sometimes insulting sort of stupidity.
It's basically someone who power but no intelligence.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=goon

I don't know about the whole bailiff thing, but I think it might be
the same thing: someone who has power because of the laws but no real
intelligence or virtue that makes him or her deserving of that power.

--lizzie