[DWJ] 'Recorded Books'

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Mon Feb 23 23:51:36 EST 2009

ooh!  I'm so excited!

The last time I checked for dwj recorded books was quite a while ago and
all I could find was... a really obscure one the title of which I can't
remember right now.  About a guy who comes out of a mound????

Anyway, Recorded Books now has nine of her titles! whoo hoo!

Their website is recordedbooks.com.   I'm not associated with them but as
a customer, I can tell you that I've been happy with them.  In regard to
customer service, I once picked up a Recorded Books title from Borders
that had two sets of CDs 1-4 (instead of 1-4 and 5-8) and even though I
hadn't purchased it directly from them, they immediately sent me CDs 5-8
at no cost.

So now, I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation of getting all of these dwj
books (one at a time, since books on cd are expensive).

I suppose I should also do a belated introduction.  I find everyone
else's so interesting but never could quite find the time to do my own.
But here it is:

I'm Jackie Stallcup and I live in Ontario California (NOT Canada) with my
husband and our many.... errr.... what's the term....  animal companions.
 Five cats at the moment and a dog.  And a horse (or two) who live at a
stable a few minutes down the freeway.  I teach at California State
University Northridge, in the English department, and I specialize in
children's and young adult literature.  In other words, I have just about
the best job in the world.

The first dwj I read was, I think, Dogsbody, when I was in middle school
or maybe early high school--when I was between 11 and 14 maybe.  But for
some reason, it didn't spur me to read her other books.  At the same
time, I read James Herbert's book Fluke, which is also about someone
rather unwillingly taking on the body of a dog.  For years, I couldn't
remember the name of the Herbert book, and whenever I would search for
it, Dogsbody would come up, so it kept popping up on my radar, so to
speak.  Then for some reason, around the time of the third Harry Potter
book, I picked up Charmed Life (I think I associate the two in my mind
because of the cover saying something like "If you like Harry, you'll
love Diana").  I felt skeptical at first but reading Charmed Life and
then Witch Week was such a jolt to the system that suddenly I had to read
everything she'd ever written.  I particularly like the way that she
plays with expectations and conventions--the books never quite go where
you think they will or where you think they should.

I'm currently teaching a course in Childhood and the Fantastic and we
will be reading Dark Lord of Derkholm in a few weeks.  I'm going to take
care to set it up better than I did the first time I taught it (thank you
to those of you who wrote in giving me suggestions on this!).  So far,
the students enjoyed "A Plague of Peacocks" and "Who Got Rid of Angus
Flint?" so I figure that's a good start!

One thing that I particularly appreciate about this list are the "other
recommendations."  You introduced me to Connie Willis who has become one
of my all time favorite writers too.  I'm using two of her short stories
in this class as well:  "The Pony" and "They Came From Miles Around."  I
was wishing that I could use Uncharted Territory because that is SUCH a
WEIRD book in terms of genre, but there's just no way to associate it
with childhood, so I didn't.

AND Georgette Heyer, of course!  Thank you to the listmember who
generously shared her extra Heyer books (you know who you are!).  Not
only did I read and love them, but so has my Dad.  He's now a total Heyer
fan.

I don't know when I joined the list.  I have been on here for quite a
while though....  at least since 2001 or 2002.

well, I'm heading home for the evening.  I'm tired.  But hi everyone!

Jackie