[DWJ] author flirting

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:33:10 EST 2009

2009/1/30 Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com>

> The boy, however...the boy drives me INSANE.  First, he has his father's
> obnoxious habit of asking me "What should I read next?" and then rejecting
> EVERY suggestion I make.  This despite the fact that I have introduced him
> to every book he loves.  Second, he's simultaneously an excellent reader
> and
> a reluctant reader; he's reading at a grade level much higher than his own,
> but his interests are extremely narrow.  Not just narrow in the sense of
> only liking fantasy, or only liking adventure fantasy--he only likes
> fantasy
> with lots and lots of action that begins on the very first page, or
> possibly
> a trebuchet.

ooo, ooo,

You *have* to buy him K. J. Parker's Colours in the Steel! It has swords!
And trebuchets! And he'll learn how to proof metal! It's a thick trilogy,
and there are two more thick trilogies to keep him going after. The third
trilogy is called The Engineer trilogy and is all about seige weapons (first
book,. Devices and Desires).

I *adore* these books.

cheers
Farah