[DWJ] Further to "other notice"

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Dec 13 07:53:49 EST 2009

>On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:50:55PM -0500, Sally Odgers wrote:
>> Highly bezerque, I'd say!
>> Sally Odgers (NOT "=?utf-8?b?U2FsbHkgT2RnZXJz?=")

Roger explained

>Sally's email program has decided that her name has Strange Furrin
>Characters in it, and so has encoded it as UTF-8 (which if she were
>using Arabic or Hebrew or Klingon characters would be entirely
>appropriate, but since she isn't is a bit silly really). Minnow's email
>program predates this innovation and so doesn't understand it.

What is strange or furrin about "Sally Odgers", I wonder?  Looks like quite
ordinary English characters to me.

Until last month I didn't see this strange designation, anyhow, I saw
either "sally[at]" or "Sally" as the sender.  So I was asking, was all.

No offence was intended to Sally or her machine/program, it was just a
surprise.  When mails arrive with such "senders" I tend to assume they are
spam rather than a real person,  because in the past they always have been.

Does this mean that in the future I shall have to expect this more and
more, Roger?

Minnow