[DWJ] Feeling welcome

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Fri Dec 11 15:31:34 EST 2009

Deborah wrote,

"'We have teenagers and university professors, and not a single
person here is smarter or more valuable than any other.  You may
be Diana Wynne Jones, Wizard Howl, and Albert Einstein rolled
into one, but on this list, you are just as smart and no smarter
than anyone else.  That is to say, your opinions are very
welcome, and so are other people's.  Some people contribute to
our discussions with years of literary theory under their belts,
some bring knowledge from DWJ's own words, and some bring only
their own personal experiences.  All of these contributions are
equally welcome.'"

Anyone here who is feeling overwhelmed -- by somebody else's
academic credentials, by somebody else's personal knowledge, or
just by somebody else's thrilling prose style -- should always
feel free to speak out.

---

So, presumably, those of us who use fancy words and have
degrees are also welcome here.

I didn't go into academe to make other people feel uncomfortable
or less valuable, but because it is what I do.  I love words--they are
the stream I swim in.  I don't think of them as fancy as much as
friends.

At the end of the semester, with piles of work still to do, I could use
a little love and acceptance right now myself.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037