[DWJ] DWJ Books for younger children

Helen Chong alitrud49 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 10 20:49:23 EST 2009

I have been "lurking" for a while. Although I have been tempted to write a few times I have hesitated to put in my two pence worth, because all of you seem to be experts (librarians, university lecturers in childrens' literature, authors, translators etc) and I am not. I just read and collect DWJ because I enjoy her writing.

But... here goes. (Takes deep breath and plunges in!)

 "Howl's Moving Castle" would be a good introduction for an eight year old. Most children of that age are familiar with the "third child is the lucky one" concept and would enjoy this take on it.

For a younger child try the picture books  "Yes Dear", "The Four Grannies" or "Who Got Rid of Angus Flint"

Helen

PS I would also like to add my wishes for a rapid and complete recovery to DWJ