[DWJ] Which DWJ for Christmas...?

Tina liril at gmx.net
Tue Dec 8 12:14:32 EST 2009

Hello everybody,

this Christmas, I'd like to give DWJ books to my godchild and his sister
- and I'd like some suggestions:

The girl is eight, and a very good and avid reader - so it's high time
for her first DWJ, I think. She's not reading much fantasy and I'd like
to introduce her to that, too. At the moment, I think I'd best get her
Witch Week, because I think the school story setting might appeal to her
and because I think Nan to be a appealing character to a girl who likes
reading and story telling. Also, if she likes it, there is the
"Chrestomanci Series" to follow. Alternatively, there's Power of Three.
It has been one of my childhood favourites and the way it starts like a
fantasy-fairy tale, and lets the reader discover step by step it is
actually "our world" it talks about might intrigue her. What do you think?

I'd like to get her brother a book, too. He's six and just discovering
reading books for himself. I don't want to overtax hin, and I have to
confess I haven't read the DWJ books which I have heard are "for younger
readers" (Wild Robert?) Apart from that problem, it has just occurrd to
me that I'd need a German translation for him. As far as I can see in a
quick search in the net, Wild Robert hasn't been translated :-(  Do you
have any other sugesstions? Well known authors would be good, because
the chance of a translation is probably higher...

While I am asking for recommendations and opions, and whilst the mail is
getting a bit more OT: I've just read  - well, listened to - my first
Georgette Heyer (audio)book, and liked it a lot. It was "The Talisman
Ring" - based on my liking this (Sarah Thane and Sir Tristram
especially), which would the Heyer Experts on this list recommend to try
next?

Thank you in advance,

Bettina

PS: My thoughts are with Diana, too. I hope she makes a good and speedy
recovery!