[DWJ] quick belated conference response

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 04:49:31 EDT 2009

Glad you had a good time at the DWJ conference, Katie - and it was great to
meet you and Aaron. (I hope the rest of your UK tour went off well?)

*Gullstruck Island* is an excellent book, and better even than *Verdigris
Deep *(I've not read *Fly By Night*), though not so DWJ-ish. (I could have
sworn that the author of *Verdigris Deep *must have been marinaded in
Wilkins Tooth, Ogre Downstairs, Dogsbody, and DWJs of that vintage, but
apparently not.) Make time to read it! I know that Hallie has blogged about
it, if you want to see a review.

DWJ wrote about the writing of both the books you mention, oddly enough. The
essay on *Fire and Hemlock *is "The Heroic Ideal: A Personal Odyssey", *The
Lion and the Unicorn *13.1 (1989), 129-40. The one on *A Sudden Wild
Magic*is right here in Chrestomanci Castle:
http://suberic.net/dwj/medusa.html.

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk