[DWJ] Bees

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sun Apr 26 22:35:11 EDT 2009

Aimee Smith wrote:

>> No, I wasn't wearing any gear.
>
>> (snip)
>
>> MArk Allums
>

> Wow! Thank you so much!
> I am now struck by how much information I get told (about bees
> generally) that I unwittingly have put into my story already.
> Eg. The main character likes watching them swarm, though misses it due
> to a royal visit in the first chapter, and the bit about bees being
> pretty laid back, especially when swarming.
> But it's so nice to know exactly what it's like witnessing a swarm!
> I too agree with Minnow: some very illuminating analogies, disjointed or
> no.
>
> :)
>
> Aimee.

OH! OH! The Japanese Giant Hornet!  Enemy of all (honey)bees.  European
bees imported to Japan don't stand a chance against them.  Two dozen
hornets will destroy a hive of tens of thousands, kill every bee.  There
is some great film of this on some documentary channel or other.
Japanese bees have evolved a defense again these, they cluster together
and overheat the hornet.  If you have good, reliable, fast internet, try
to find video on youtube or somewhere.

MArk Allums