[DWJ] James Fenimore Cooper: a warning was Re: an appeal to Australia

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Apr 26 03:44:49 EDT 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 11:50 PM, sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

> Otter Perry writes:
>> > James only-one-n Fenimore Cooper. You can make a good movie
>> out of _The Last of the Mohicans_ only if
>> you change the protagonist's name, drop a number of the sillier
>> episodes, and base your script largely on older Hollywood scripts.
>
> ???
> Oh aye? I've only met the pictorial strip in - um - Look and Learn.
> Sallyo

Cooper named his protagonist Natty Bumppo.  Unlike the Daniel
Day-Lewis character, Cooper's hero had no doubt whatever that,
as a white man, he was superior to mere Indians.  And one of the
most ridiculous [to me] scenes in the book involves the hero
infiltrating an Indian camp disguised as a bear.

The world is a story we tell ourselves
about the world.

                        - Vikram Chandra