[DWJ] Space squids and other monsters

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 07:04:33 EDT 2009

2009/4/24 Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk>

> >I bet there's a *good* SF novel somewhere with a space squid in it, an
> >*actually good* one. I /bet/ there is.
> >
> >I can't think of it, but I'm sure it's there...

Stephen Baxter: Time
Ken MacLeod:  Cosmonaut Keep.

In TIme, squids are used  to pilot experimental craft.

In Cosmonaut Keep, the planets are kept in touch with by huge space craft
which have "circuits" (so each one may land on your planet only once in a
couple of hundred years) and are piloted by immense, kraken like squid which
live for hundreds of years.

Both are great (and very different) books. Both came out about a month after
we'd all protested that Atwood's description of sf was inaccurate. To
confound us of course.

cheers
Farah