[DWJ] Bees

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 23:58:40 EDT 2009

2009/4/24 Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>

> No, I wasn't wearing any gear.  Honeybees are pretty laid back, and you
> have to actually be robbing the hive or otherwise a threat to them before
> they are likely to sting or attack.  When they swarm (to form a new
> colony/hive) they load up on honey, and this makes for mellow bees.
>
> More description:  Uh, A little like static on the TV screen when the
> station has gone off the air.  A little like a tornado, except less whirling
> and more random trajectories.  Uh, a bit like too much coffee, and
> everything is dizzy and jittery.  Except, not in an unpleasant way.    Being
> in the center of an event.
>
> It starts with a few bees.  They start exiting the hive.  At first, only a
> few.  Then more.  They seem to be hunting, searching, but not
> systematically.  The cloud is small.  A beach ball.  Then, a shrubbery.
>  Then an elephant.  Then, the size of a large room.  Eventually, a consensus
> is reached.  They agree to alight on an object.  A sapling, or tree limb.
>  Some beekeepers you may have seen, with "bee beards".  They may stay nearby
> if they find a sheltering place, or the may take off in search of some new
> territory.  And then, the swarm dwindles, and dissipates.
>
> Feelings:  Pregnacy (expectation), apprehension, wonder, joy, slight fear
> (of being the "tree limb" they choose to alight on).
>
> MArk Allums

I'm with Minnow. This is a smashing bit of writing, although I confess when
you mentioned the shrubbery, I have expected some Pythonesque Knights to
make a guest appearance...

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)