[DWJ] Bees

Colin Fine colin at fine.me.uk
Thu Apr 23 17:36:08 EDT 2009

Mark Allums wrote:

>>> Thank you.  I'm flattered.
>>>
>>> About what writing do you refer?  My writing is always disjointed, and
>>> full of non-sequiters.
>>
>> It conveyed the feeling of such an event very vividly.
>>
>> I would expect a swarm of bees to be full of non-sequiters, wouldn't
>> you?
>> Well, I wouldn't expect bees to be being sequential in the
>> circumstances,
>> anyhow.
>>
>> Minnow
>>

> It just occurred to me that I do not know how to spell "non sequiter".
> Sequitor?  My spell-checker is no help.

It's 'sequitur' - 3rd person singular present indicative passive (or in
this case deponent), so in Latin 'non sequitur' is a sentence meaning
'it does not follow'. This is not particularly helpful for remembering
how to spell it in English, unless you know some Latin grammar.

I don't know about sequential bees, but many years ago I was tickled  by
erect ones, so to speak. I was driving between St Albans and Harpenden,
and I saw a sign to 'Beesonend'. I was nearly incapacitated for a few
minutes.

Colin