[DWJ] Bees

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Thu Apr 23 14:15:40 EDT 2009

Aimee Smith wrote:
>> My mother was used to him returning in this state, but was surprised
>> when he held out his arm and said, "Lick this!" The tree was full of
>> honey.
>>

>> K.
>
> Hee hee! Your parents are great.
>
>> Kind of like a fog composed of yellow-brown particles,
>> which buzz.  It was a bit dream-like.  I'm sure I would experience it
>> differently today, but I still recall the joy I had of being there, in
>> the right place, at the right time.
>>

>> Mark
>>

> Thanks for the description - I was going to ask for it!
> I'm writing a story called Honey Mage. Well, that's its working title.
> It's a long way off finishing but I'm glad one can experience standing
> in the middle of a swarm!
> Were you wearing protective gear?
> And thanks to everyone for the bee stories - it'll be good to know what
> else is out there like my story!
>
> :)
>
> Aimee.

No, I wasn't wearing any gear.  Honeybees are pretty laid back, and you
have to actually be robbing the hive or otherwise a threat to them
before they are likely to sting or attack.  When they swarm (to form a
new colony/hive) they load up on honey, and this makes for mellow bees.

More description:  Uh, A little like static on the TV screen when the
station has gone off the air.  A little like a tornado, except less
whirling and more random trajectories.  Uh, a bit like too much coffee,
and everything is dizzy and jittery.  Except, not in an unpleasant way.
     Being in the center of an event.

It starts with a few bees.  They start exiting the hive.  At first, only
a few.  Then more.  They seem to be hunting, searching, but not
systematically.  The cloud is small.  A beach ball.  Then, a shrubbery.
  Then an elephant.  Then, the size of a large room.  Eventually, a
consensus is reached.  They agree to alight on an object.  A sapling, or
tree limb.  Some beekeepers you may have seen, with "bee beards".  They
may stay nearby if they find a sheltering place, or the may take off in
search of some new territory.  And then, the swarm dwindles, and
dissipates.

Feelings:  Pregnacy (expectation), apprehension, wonder, joy, slight
fear (of being the "tree limb" they choose to alight on).

MArk Allums