[DWJ] Chalice

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 22 19:17:35 EDT 2009

Mark Allums wrote:

>"There are worse things than bees."
>
>I wish you hadn't said that.  Perhaps you should qualify that with "nice
>tame bees of Italian heritage".  I live in an area (East Texas) where
>some quite aggressive bees are moving in from points further south.

Oh.  I thought the Italian bees were the aggressive but industrious ones,
and the English ones were placid but lazy, and the trouble came when they
interbred them trying to get placid industrious, and ended up with
aggressive lazy.

>But I did enjoy quite a lot witnessing my uncle's bee hive begin to
>swarm, at my grandmother's house.  I can now quite easily visualize
>being inside a roiling, thick cloud of honeybees.  Because I have been.

Show-off!  :-)

Memory of *A Swarm in May*, and Owen in a surplice wandering across the
quad wearing a bowler hat, with a swarm of bees hanging from a chain in one
hand and a bicycle pump in the other.

Minnow