[DWJ] Bees (was Chalice)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 22 11:30:15 EDT 2009

>2009/4/22 <deborah.dwj at suberic.net>
>>
>> I'm positive they do do this in power of three. Adara makes sure
>> that Gair does it, right? And Ceri?
>

>Yes, and it's mentioned in the closing words of the book too, iirc.
>Charlie

As I understand it, the legend is old and the immediate cause of its being
used in this case is that it plays a small part in a story by Kipling that
was well-known to DWJ, and has a poem^Wverse (sorry: Kipling never claimed
to write poems, he always called them "verses") attached:

THE BEE-BOY'S SONG

Bees! Bees! Hark to your bees!
"Hide from your neighbours as much as you please,
But all that has happened, to /us/ you must tell,
Or else we will give you no honey to sell!"

A maiden in her glory,
  Upon her wedding-day,
Must tell her Bees the story,
  Or else they'll fly away.