[DWJ] Space squids and other monsters

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Apr 22 05:12:37 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 05:26:32PM +0100, Minnow wrote:

>But all of this doesn't really excuse someone in the 1980s and 1990s
>apparently feeling able to claim that SF = space-travelling squids,
>ignoring everything after the pulp covers of the 1930s and 1940s (or indeed
>of the 1880s and 1890s).  That seems to me to be purely absurd.

I think it's more a reinforcement of the idea that all SF is bad, so if
something is (to be thought of as) good it cannot be (thought of as) SF.
As for example this from J. G. Ballard's obituary in the NYTimes:

"His fabulistic style led people to review his work as science fiction,"
said Robert Weil, Mr. Ballard's American editor at Norton. "But that's
like calling 'Brave New World' science fiction, or '1984.'"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/books/21ballard.html