[DWJ] Atwood

Tue Apr 21 12:18:35 EDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:02:38 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Minnow wrote:
>> Has anyone here ever actually encounted a giant space-travelling squid in a
>> work of science fiction?  I never have...
>
>Kenneth Oppel's Airborne sequel, Stormbreaker, has giant flying
>squid. And apparently book 3 is going to be about space travel,
>so possibly the giant flying squid will be involved. Though that
>only matters if you count steam punk as science fiction, which I
>do.

_Starclimber_ has other kinds of alien life forms, non-cephalopoid but still
intriguing.  Though the most frightening from the crew's point of view is
the space coral.  Can't really blame them.  Oppel is really good at
inventing new forms of life that are terrifying because they're similar to
the kinds of creatures we know, but different enough to just feel Wrong.

Melissa Proffitt