[DWJ] Space squids and other monsters

Jenny Schwartzberg schwartzbergj at newberry.org
Tue Apr 21 11:26:41 EDT 2009

Good point Charlie!  I do think that may have played into this.  I'm
remembering Jules Verne and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  I think some
of the covers for that book may have had similar images.  It was first
published in French in 1869-1870 and translated into English in 1872.
The pulp cover artists of the 1930s might have had childhoods in the
1880s and 1890s when books with illustrations like that were around, to
influence their imaginations decades later....

Yours,
Jenny