[DWJ] Atwood

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 07:19:14 EDT 2009

>On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:54:51AM +0100, Minnow wrote:
>
>>What, a whole one in the past century?  I'm impressed!  Where is it?  Who
>>wrote it?  tell more!

and Roger obliged:

>One of the spacecraft in Vonda McIntyre's _Starfarers_ series (the later
>books are _Transition_, _Metaphase_ and _Nautilus_). 1989-1994.

Thank you!  I was feeling slightly stumped.

Come to think of it, there may be one in White's "Sector General" series,
turning up as a difficult patient for the space medics.

I wonder, though, whether Atwood's dismissive comments about such creatures
came before or after the McIntyre one.  Perhaps they were to be found on
the covers of the pulps, in strange and obviously non-Terrestrial (or even
Tellurian) landscapes, menacing Pure (though scantily clad) aryan females
with obvious mammalian characteristics.

Minnow