[DWJ] Attwood

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 20:38:17 EDT 2009

2009/4/20 Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk>

> Ah, like Iain M Banks and Iain Banks having to be two different people
> depending on whether they reckon what he wrote is Fiction or just That SF
> Stuff?

To be fair, isn't this a way of differentiating for the audience between
Banks's very different types of books? I know for myself that I wouldn't
bother with an Iain M Banks novel, but have read and enjoyed
several published as Iain Banks.

I'm always very wary attributing attitudes and motivations to writers
(referring to the Atwood discussion). Who knows what she really thinks about
SF/spec fiction etc (the terms are so fluid these days)? Maybe rather than
being "snotty" she doesn't think she's a "real" SF writer because it's not
her "main thing" and doesn't want to claim a title she might not think she's
fully, well, entitled to. I don't know, I'm just speculating, and it makes
no diofference to the quality or otherwise of her work... What her publisher
decides to put on the cover of the book is another matter entirely.

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)