[DWJ] What I've been reading was Re: anyone reading list on digest?

Dorian E. Gray dorianegray at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:15:56 EDT 2009

Elizabeth asked...

> Anyone read anything good lately, or have you all been on a reading
> diet, waiting for the new DWJ to come out?

I'm on a late-20th-century American sensation literature kick, and have been
happily wallowing in the works of Mrs. Georgie Sheldon, May Agnes Fleming,
Charlotte M. Braeme, "The Duchess", and others.

These stories involve such plot elements as missing heirs, lost fortunes,
previously-rich-but-suddenly-impoverished heroines, English baronets (almost
always baronets rather than any other variety of nobleman), ruthless
attempts to divide hero and heroine (usually at least temporarily
successful), kidnapping, amnesia, mistaken identities, women who take
vicious revenge on men who have the temerity to not love them (and often on
their families too), dreadful secrets, attempted murders, and so and so on.
Plus, of course, melodrama and sentimentality laid on with a trowel.
They're hilarious.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
dorianegray at gmail.com
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"Fashion is gentility running away from vulgarity, and afraid of being
overtaken."
- William Hazlitt