[DWJ] musings on _Curse of Chalion_

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Sep 27 05:11:45 EDT 2008

Well, I'm feeling rather ignorant.  I don't know very much about
the history of Spain, really, just Columbus and then all that business
when John of Gaunt was married to a Spanish princess and was
trying to get a Spanish throne out of it.

I've always felt that _Curse of Chalion_ and _Paladin of
Souls_ had a Spanish feel to them, mostly because of the names
and the countryside and the architecture, I think.

Now I'm reading a book about the conquest of the last Moorish
bit of Spain, the expulsion of the Jews, and the Inquisition.
[As USAliens like me tend to know, the expulsion of the Jews
and the Moors were the _other_ things that happened in 1492.]

Yes.  Well.  So the book covers various events leading up
to all this stirring stuff, including the political situation Isabella
was in before she married Ferdinand and how she married
Ferdinand against her half-brother's [the king] wishes, and
how her brother had died before her.  It's all fascinating and
bears more than a passing resemblance to _Curse of Chalion_.

Was I the only one who didn't notice this before?

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there
is no hope for it.

                                          - A. Einstein