[DWJ] and while I'm talking to you, perhaps I can be a little more on topic...

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Tue Nov 18 20:14:29 EST 2008

Yep, I was planning to use at least excerpts from Attebury, and your
Rhetorics of Fantasy, plus I just got a copy of the Encyclopedia of
Science Fiction (since I'm doing both fantasy and science fiction.  Also
thinking about using bits from Colin Manlove's history of fantasy.

I had my independent study student read bits out of various books, and he
liked Rhetorics of Fantasy best--found that the most accessible and
useful and he really liked the categories.  It led to some very useful
discussions of classifying the various books that we are reading.  (just
thought you'd like to know!)

I was also thinking Todorov, maybe.  And perhaps Tolkien and Lewis.

I'll order the other ones--thanks for the heads up on those!

Jackie