[DWJ] and while I'm talking to you, perhaps I can be a little more on topic...

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 02:59:57 EST 2008

2008/11/15 Jackie E Stallcup <jstallcup at juno.com>

> I'd love to get a copy of your syllabus.  One of the things that I'm
> wrestling with is what secondary material to teach.   This is going to be
> an undergrad class, though an Honors section, so they are up for some
> theory.

For fantasy that's tough. Attebery is out of print but if you have it in the
library his Strategies of Fantasy is the Must Read.

After that, some of the theory essays in the Encyclopedia of Fantasy (Clute
and Grant)

my own Rhetorics of Fantasy, and Charles Butler's Four British Fantasists.

And from 2010 _Modern LIterary Fantasy_ from CUP, ed James and Mendlesohn,
which is a set of essays by the big names in the field (authors as well as
critics).

It's also worth flicking through The Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts.

Farah