[DWJ] and while I'm talking to you, perhaps I can be a little more on topic...

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Fri Nov 14 23:13:04 EST 2008

I'd love to get a copy of your syllabus.  One of the things that I'm
wrestling with is what secondary material to teach.   This is going to be
an undergrad class, though an Honors section, so they are up for some
theory.

I love the idea of reading Dark Lord, Book of Three and Paper Bag
Princess together! I'm going to figure out a way to do something similar
with the texts that I've already ordered for the course....

And I was interested in the students' responses to Shona's situation.  In
the independent study, I'm wondering what my student is going to say.
He's had a lot of feminist theory (both in English classes and journalism
classes) and I'm wondering how that's going to affect how he reads it.

In my children's literature course this week, we were discussing Letters
from Rifka which has a similar situation.  You can really read the moment
in the text either way and it was interesting to see how the students
talked about it based on their own experiences (both in life and with
literature).

Jackie