[DWJ] and while I'm talking to you, perhaps I can be a little more on topic...

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Nov 13 21:42:15 EST 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Jackie E Stallcup wrote:
> I'm going to try teaching Dark Lord of Derkholm again (those of you who
> have been around a while might recall the disasterous results last time I
> tried that!).  I get to teach an Honors Seminar next semester on
> Childhood and the Fantastic, and I'm going to teach DL in conjunction
> with the Hobbit amid discussions of high fantasy and genre-playing.  So
> it should be a better experience this time.  I hope.  I'll keep you
> updated, if you all are interested.

I would love to hear about it! I taught Dark Lord this semester
(also in conjunction with The Hobbit!) and it actually went
really well. The fantasy lovers found it funny, and for the
people who came into the class believing they hated fantasy,
seeing a fantasy text which made fun of all the things they
thought they hated about fantasy was a nice icebreaker.

-deborah
--
Amaze me, America
Save me from armageddon.	-- Girlyman, "Amaze me"