[DWJ] A question about Tove Jansson illustrations of the Hobbit

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Thu Nov 13 21:31:58 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been reading my copy of the Annotated Hobbit, which includes
illustrations from many different editions of the Hobbit.  I particularly
like Tove Jansson's (I also LOVE her Moomintroll books, of course!)  I've
been trying to work out how to purchase a copy of that includes all of
her illustrations, but am having some trouble.

There is a Swedish edition published in 1962 by Raben and Sjogren (sorry,
I can't make my email program do the umlaut over the o there) under the
title _Bilbo: en hobbits aventyr_ (and an umlaut over the a) and a
Finnish edition published in 1973 by Kustannusosakeyhtio Tammi under the
title _Lohikaarmevuori, eli, Eraan hoppelin matka sinne ja takaisin_ (not
even going to attempt to tell you where the umlauts are).

I just want it for the illustrations, so would be happy to find either
edition though I wouldn't be able to actually read them.  But none of the
bookstore sites I look at seem to have books in Swedish or Finnish.  Are
there sites similar to Amazon, abebooks or alibris for Swedish or Finnish
books?   Or does anyone have other suggestions for finding copies?

I can find my way to Moominvalley and info about the Moominmuseum, but
there doesn't seem to be a purchase page there, or anything other than
Moomin material (though I would love to have some of the dishes that are
pictured on the site).

Any help you can offer will be gratefully received!

Jackie