[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu May 22 09:47:47 EDT 2008

Helen wrote:
> I think it's similar to the "ge-" prefix on past participles in German --
> that is what it "felt" like :-)

I don't speak any Yiddish (well, some Yinglish), but I've grown
up around enough of it that this German prefix is part of my
vocabulary in certain rude instances. As in "at the end of
Archer's Goon, Archer's plans get totally gefucked."

Interestingly, the English equivalent of "be-" is a prefix I add
on other words, but not rude ones. For example, "help! I've been
becatted!"

-deborah
--
You klingon bastard, you killed my son.  You klingon bastard, you killed my
son.  You ... Klingon ... bastard ... you ...