[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Tue May 20 03:29:38 EDT 2008

Helen wrote:
> I think it's similar to the "ge-" prefix on past participles in German --
that is what it "felt" like :-)

> Ich habe mein Mobiltelefon gefunden (I've found my cell phone). Mein
> gefundenes
> Mobiltelefon ist kaputt (My cell phone that was found is broken).
> Apologies
> if  this is rotten German, but it gives the general idea.

Not at all. Which is to say, it's good German, and also a good example. And it presents me with the opportunity to point out that we have an English word for cell phone in German which isn't *the* English word for cell phone. Unless I can convice you to call your cell phones "Handy"...

Bettina
--
249 Spiele für nur 1 Preis. Die GMX Spieleflatrate schon ab 9,90 Euro.
Neu: Asterix bei den Olympischen Spielen: http://flat.games.gmx.de