[DWJ] ybounden

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Mon May 19 14:32:26 EDT 2008

On 16 May 2008, at 21:07, Philip Belben wrote:

Can someone help me out with "ybounden"? I think I've seen it written
"ibounden" too, in Britten's Ceremony of Carols. What does the y add to
the meaning?

It's the old participle prefix, similar to ge- in present day German.  We also
see it in the a- of such present participles as a-running.

(Someone may already have answered this; I should probably change my
subscription and stop taking the digest, which is only good for lurking.)

Jameela
--
Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Associate Professor