[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon May 19 12:35:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/19/2008 9:01:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Joe
_oddenda at gmail.com_ (mailto:oddenda at gmail.com)  writes:

Can  someone help me out with "ybounden"? I think I've seen it written
"ibounden" too, in Britten's Ceremony of Carols. What does the y add to
the meaning?

I think it's similar to the "ge-" prefix on past participles in German --
Ich habe mein Mobiltelefon gefunden (I've found my cell phone). Mein gefundenes
Mobiltelefon ist kaputt (My cell phone that was found is broken). Apologies
if  this is rotten German, but it gives the general idea.

Helen Schinske

favorites at AOL Food.