[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:32:10 EDT 2008

On 16 May 2008, at 21:07, Philip Belben wrote:

> Belatedly emerging from lurkdom as I catch up on the list...
>
> Minnow:
>> 'Verbs that go to en' once led to me making a list, I forget why, and
>> to my
>> astonishment it is still around in a file called 'en-words'.
>> bound, bounden (for bounded)            deliberately archaic
>
> Er, doesn't "bounden" come from "bind" - "bounden duty", "Adam lay
> ybounden" and so on?

Can someone help me out with "ybounden"? I think I've seen it written
"ibounden" too, in Britten's Ceremony of Carols. What does the y add to
the meaning?

And more to the point, can we use it to squeeze more meaning out of The
Homeward Bounders? (I think we were on four separate meanings of the
word "bound" at the last count).

Joe