[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Sat May 17 19:15:12 EDT 2008

Quoting dwj-request at suberic.net:

> Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 21:07:51 +0100
> From: Philip Belben <philip at axeside.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold
> To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
>
> Minnow wrote:
> > 'Verbs that go to en' once led to me making a list, I forget why, and to my
> > astonishment it is still around in a file called 'en-words'.
> >
> > write, written                          normal

A former student who is now doing an MA in Germanic linguistics advises me that
"to get" is actually a class 1 strong verb like write/wrote/written, so that
it's original past participle was "gitten."  Go figure!

(There's quite an entry on "strong verb" on Wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Germanic_strong_verb.)

My favorite bit of linguistic trivia is that "aks" for "ask"--very common around
here--is the original form, since the Anglo-Saxon verb was "axidon."  In fact,
I've seen the spelling "aks" in seventeenth-century texts.

Cheers,

Jameela

JL
--