[DWJ] Re: Gotten and other issues in English

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Sat May 17 05:34:30 EDT 2008

Helen wrote:

> Have I mentioned that there is an ersatz-German-themed gift store in
> Seattle
> called Das Gift Haus? It has, of course, been pointed out numerous times
> that
>  "Gift" is German for poison ... I suppose it is run by  the descendants
> of
> some of the Grimm Brothers' evil stepmothers.

:-)

Very good explanation! I still remember visiting the US with my parents before I had learned English in school: The first "Gift Shop" disturbed me, and from then on all those poison shops were a constant source of amusement. "Look, poisoned Mickey Mouses!"

Bettina

(who is still easily amused in some ways :-)