[DWJ] Re: Gotten and other issues in English

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri May 16 12:19:28 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/16/2008 9:00:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight  Time, Jameela
writes:

gift" does indeed have the sense of "to formally bestow" in  American law.  I
suspect that advertisers use it as a verb because  they know it is irritating
and therefore  memorable.

The legal associations probably make it sound like language rich folks use,
too.

Have I mentioned that there is an ersatz-German-themed gift store in  Seattle
called Das Gift Haus? It has, of course, been pointed out numerous times  that
 "Gift" is German for poison ... I suppose it is run by  the descendants of
some of the Grimm Brothers' evil stepmothers.

Helen Schinske

favorites at AOL Food.