[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 15 21:34:24 EDT 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Roger Burton West wrote:

> While it may well have decent historical antecedents, I think it's
> still reasonable to deplore the recent popularity of "gifting" in
> its association with guilt-based consumerism and Xmas: for example,
> a label of "gifting chocolates" (i.e. we don't expect you to buy
> these for yourself).

There's a 1974 episode of "My Word!" where Denis Norden rants about
'gifts' (as distinct from 'presents'), which he defines as products
that exist solely to be given as presents, exclaimed over, and then
put away somewhere and forgotten - things when have no actual value
in themselves, like... well, like most of the things in mail-order
catalogues.

Actually admitting it on the packet is a new one on me, though.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."