[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu May 15 17:08:24 EDT 2008

Otter wrote:

>OMG!  I live a rather sheltered life in some ways -- that is, I don't
>watch TV* and don't have kids -- but I have NOT seen "gifting"
>out here in Colorado.  That is _disgusting_!**  "Gift chocolates" I
>would expect, so why bother adding the "ing"?

O favoured of fortune, indeed.

I don't have TV either, but shops at some times of year offer me 'gifting'
items.  The sad thing is that they then can't say what they want you to do
with this stuff: you can hardly be asked to gift it, giving it would make
the gifting name look silly, donating is for charitable offerings, bestow
is patronising...

It would make their lives easier if they could bring themselves to call the
reindeer-shaped hot-water-bottle cover 'Suitable for Xmas Present', but I
suppose that would be too simple.

Minnow (collects useless 'gift' ideas from catalogues: the nail-clipper
with a hood to catch the cuttings?  the cucumber-juicer?)