[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu May 15 05:12:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:32:05PM +0100, Minnow wrote:
>Alison asked:
>>And another pet peeve - using "gift" as a verb, instead of the perfectly
>>good "give."
>Verbing nouns is a very traditional irritation, along with nouning verbs.
>:-)  I suppose it is part of the growth of a language, even if it drives
>some of us mad while it is happening.  According to the SOD 'gift' has been
>a verb since about 1600, so it has probably been annoying people for four
>centuries or so.  Either that or 'give' has, as a nasty modern word that
>people didn't oughter used that way!  :-)

While it may well have decent historical antecedents, I think it's still
reasonable to deplore the recent popularity of "gifting" in its
association with guilt-based consumerism and Xmas: for example, a label
of "gifting chocolates" (i.e. we don't expect you to buy these for
yourself). Has this been happening in the USA as well as tne UK?